| ▲ 聯系代詞whose的用法
This is the boy whose father is a pilot.
先行詞 聯系代詞在從句中做father的定語=the boy’s
Do you know the girl whose father is our teacher?
先行詞 聯系代詞在從句中做father的定語=the girl’s
I know the man whom(who/that) you are talking about.
● I know the man about whom you are talking.
Is this the girl who(whom/that)you are looking for?
Is this the girl for whom you are looking?
The shelf which(that)you put those books on has collapsed.
The shelf on which you put those books has collapsed.
●Music is the only language in which you cannot say a mean（卑劣） or
sarcastic（挖苦） thing. --John Erskine, American educator
----------美國教育家 厄斯金 . J.
●A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited
enthusiasm. ------C. M. Schwab, American businessman
-----------美國實業家 施瓦布 .C.M.
● This is the worst book that I have read.
● He is the tallest man that I know.
2、 先行詞是all, everything, nothing, something等不定代詞
● He told me all that he knew.
3、 領先行詞被only, any, no, very, little或序數詞修飾時。
● That is the only way that leads into the mountain.
● Who is the first student that came here?
注：下面3種狀況不能運用who, whom, which等聯系代詞。
1.你 熟悉 那個今天在會上講話的 人嗎？
主 謂 定語從句 賓
Do you know the man who spoke at the meeting yesterday?
2. 我 不喜愛 我父親寫的那本書。
主 謂 定語從句 賓
I don’t like the book which was written by my father.
3.誰 是 在教室里常常說話的 那個女孩？
主 系 定語從句 表語
Who is the girl that often speaks in class?
4.我 要看 你上周看的 那部電影
主 謂 定語從句 賓
I will see the film which you saw last week.
5.你 熟悉 警-察抓走的那團體嗎？
主 謂 定語從句 賓
Do you know the man whom the police arrested?
He is a man whose dog bit me.
I want that dictionary whose cover is red.
What’s the word that you don’t understand?
*He who has many friends has no friends.
*He who would hang himself is sure to find a rope.
*Write down the advice of him who loves you, though you like it not at present.
*He who loses wealth loses much; he who loses a friend lose more; but he who loses courage（勇氣） loses all.
The people who lived in Rome 2,000 years ago were already complaining about the noise in their city.
Hundreds of years ago, Americans spoke the same kind of English that the British spoke. When they put words on paper, they used the same vocabulary and spelling. It is true that American English and British English grew from the same roots, but gradually the language came to be somewhat different.
●The family you came from isn't as important as the family you are going
to have. -------------D. Herbert Lawrence, British writer
你將具有的家庭比你出身的那個家庭次要。 -英國作家 勞倫斯 . D. H.
●The man who has made up his mind to win will never say "impossible".
---------Bonapart Napoleon, French emperor
●The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look
for circumstances they want, and if they cannot find them, they make them.
----------------George Bernard Shaw, British dramatist
在這個世界上，取得成功的人是那些尋覓他們想要時機的人，假如找不到時機，他們就去發明時機。 ---------英國劇作家 肖伯納 .G.
● People who cannot find time for recreation are obliged sooner or later to
find time for illness. ------John Wanamaker, American merchant
--------美國商人 沃納梅克 . J.
● He who will not reason, is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who
dares not is a slave. ------William Drummond. British engineer
--------英國工程師 德拉蒙德 . W.
●Happiness is not something you experience; it's something you
remember. --------------O. Levant, American pianist
幸運不是你閱歷的事，而是你記得的事。-美國鋼琴家 利萬特 . O.
● Hope is itself a species of happiness, and perhaps the chief happiness
which this world affords. -----Samuel Johnson, British writer
----------英國作家 約翰遜 . S.
●The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved.
----------Vitor Hugo, French novelist
生活中最大的幸運是深信有人愛我們。 ---法國小說家 雨果 . V.
●Beauty in things exists in the mind which contemplates them.
-------------D. Hume, British philosopher
事物的美具有于細心察看者的心目中。 ---英國哲學家 休謨 . D.
●The years teach much which the days never know.
--------Ralph Waldo Emerson, American thinker
學問積年而成，而逐日不自知。 ---美國思想家 愛默生 . R. W.
● Learning teaches more in one year that experience in twenty.
● Never pay attention to what critics say. Remember, a statue has never
been set up in honor of a critic. -------JEAN SIBELIU
● A critic is a man who knows the way but can’t drive the car.
● Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to
anybody. ------------MARK TWAIN 每團體都是一個月亮，有其從不示人的暗淡面。 Money Refunded （退款）
A couple took their three-month-old son to the movies with them. On the way, the usher（款待員） said they’d have to leave if the baby cried.
“But we’ll refund you money,” he added.
After watching the movie for a half-hour, the husband turned to his wife. “Well, what do you think?” he asked.
“It’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen!” the wife replied.
“Me, too,” he agreed. “Shake little Tom.”
Edison And Einstein
Edison was complaining（埋怨）to Einstein that he could not find a suitable assistant. “Every day many youths come to see me, but not one of them suits me,” he told Einstein.
“But how do you decide who is suitable, who is not?” asked Einstein. Edison handed him a sheet of paper with a lot of questions on it. “Anyone who can answer these questions can become my assistant.”
Einstein read the first question: “How many miles is it from New York to Chicago?” “One can find the answer to this question in the railway guidebook,” he said to Edison. He read the second of the questions: “What is rustles steel（不銹鋼）made of?” “The answer to that one can be found in a Metallography Manual（金屬手冊）”, he said.
Einstein thus answered all the questions. Then he said humorously（詼諧地）: “I won’t wait for you to reject（回絕）me, I’ll announce my self that I haven’t been chosen.”
（這段故事闡明把握取得學問的辦法比把握學問自身更次要） 練 習
1. *He who has many friends has no friends.
2. *He who would hang himself is sure to find a rope.
3. *Write down the advice of him who loves you, though you like it not at present.
4. *A wise man thinks all that he says; a fool says all that he thinks.
5. *He that hunts two hares at once will catch neither.
6. *He who loses wealth loses much; he who loses a friend loses more; but he who loses courage（勇氣） loses all.
7. I’m talking about the dog that is running after the cat that is running after the rat that is eating the cheese. Now you know which dog I mean.
8. A woman who has completed the course has acquired（取得）an education that will not only allow her to perform her stewardess duties well; it will also enrich（豐厚）her whole life.
1. He is the man who we have heard so much about.
2. This is the road we came by.
3. Where is the pencil that you were playing with?
4. This is the hotel that we stayed in last summer.
5. This is the pen I wrote the letter with.
6. I shall never forget the day we won the game on.
7. Is this the book that you asked for?
1. All glitters are not gold.
2. The skirt Mary bought two years ago is now out-of-date.
3. The writer works I like most is Lu Xun.
4. There was little the doctor could do for the patient.
5. Is there anything I can do for you?
6. This is the best film I have ever seen.
7. The day she arrived on was Thursday.
8. This is the page on you can find the answer.
9. I don’t know the pilot for you are looking.
10. The plane by we came from America was, Boeing 747.
7、 旅客效勞代-理（the customer service representative）告訴乘務長曾經辦完交運手續的旅客數目（number）。